Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Potty Party

A strange ritual takes place at our house everyday, often times more than once a day. There is a pilgrimage to the potty that is like none other. You see, Kate is Carter’s “potty buddy”. Every time Carter goes to the potty, Kate insists on going with him. He will take his place on the toilet and Kate takes her place sitting in the bathtub. They just sit in there and have a big conversation while Carter takes care of business! They enjoy each others company so much that Carter will hunt Kate down just to tell her he is going to potty so she can come too.

This little ritual totally freaks Mark out. He does not understand why in this world anyone would go to the bathroom with somebody. Mark thinks that a persons time in the bathroom is sacred and should never be “shared” with anyone. Does any of this sound familiar ladies?

I tried to explain to Mark how it works. I can remember growing up, I sat in many a bath tub and hardly ever went to the bathroom alone. My friends and I always went with each other to the bathroom. As I got a little older (teenager), I gave up tub sitting for primping in the mirror, but it was completely normal. That is where we discussed the days events. It is where we found solitude in a world gone mad. Think about it, even as adults women have a tendency to accompany each other to the bathroom. I see it in restaurants all the time. Normally, it is just to gossip, but sometimes it is to assist with a crisis in wardrobe or makeup.

I think God gave women a special gene for “potty parties”. God knew that once we had children it would be YEARS before we would ever go to potty alone.

No comments: