Monday, August 4, 2008

Are You Matching Today?

Saturday was our state’s annual sales tax holiday. These “holidays” are like cattle calls for every debutante and redneck across the state of Georgia. People who refuse to shop anywhere but Wal-Mart will even go to the mall on the annual sales tax holiday. If you did not know any better you would think it was Christmas Eve.

Of course my mother and I had to get out with all the other crazy people and get a piece of the “no tax” pie, not that we needed an excuse to shop, but it sounded good at the time. We had been shopping for awhile and it was time to try on our choices. Mom went first and I sat with the kids in a “waiting area” outside the dressing rooms. I have to admit the kids were on their best behavior, so I sat back and did my favorite thing which is dressing room review 101. DRR 101 as I like to call it, is were I sit outside of the dressing room and critique (to myself) what other people come out wearing. Don’t act like you are offended, you know you have done it too.
One shopper in the dressing rooms caught my attention. She was helping out a friend that was trying on a lot of clothes. Her speaking voice was very loud and you could tell she did not mind that everyone in the store could hear what she was saying. Her friend was apparently trying on bras so she begins to tell her how she never wore panties that did not match her bra. Oh! those were the days. I too can remember when I would not leave the house if my bra did not match my panties, but then came kids and a good dose of reality.

The woman continued on with her matching panties routine and then it happened. She told her “friend” that she preferred thongs. Oh Dear Lord! It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut. Did I mention that this woman was not a Victoria’s Secret model? Well, she was not and far from it! So when the term “thong” came out of her mouth I had to bite my tongue. I am a firm believer that some things should not come in some sizes. Now, I know that all of this may sound mean, but I think you will forgive me when you find out what she did.

If I concentrate really hard I can remember bits and pieces of my life before I had children. The one thing I remember very clear is the respect I had for people with children. My respect ran especially deep when it came to people shopping with their children. It may have been sympathy and not respect, but anyway I was nice to them. Now that I take my own two kids shopping, I just wish other people would take a page out of the “nice” book.

It was my turn in the dressing room, so mom took her post with the kids. Carter and Kate were playing school to entertain themselves and they were not being loud or wild. They were simply talking to each other. I came out with my first outfit on and I noticed “thong girl” outside of the friends door. Her friend was talking to her and then it happened. “Thong girl” looked over her shoulder at my kids rolled her eyes and said “I’m sorry Kim, but I CAN NOT HEAR YOU!” Oh, no she didn’t! I know she did not just roll her eyes at my kids and raise her voice toward them. I stood there staring her down just waiting on her to say something else. I could feel the southern belle redneck rising up inside me. Add my P.M.S. to the mix and “Katie bar the door”, I was about to loose my religion and claw her eyes out.

My mother was the voice of reason. She simply said as loud as she could “that’s o.k. Stef, she will have kids someday”. Mom was probably right, she would have kids someday. Maybe her matching bra and thong will help her out a little.

No comments: