Thursday, August 14, 2008

Let The Games Begin

Recently, I seem to be having an irrational desire to pick fights with children other than my own. I have turned into one of those mothers who try to fight there kids battles for them. Case in point, Kate’s first night as a Cubbie.

Last night was Kate’s first night as an AWANA Cubbie. For those of you who do not know what a Cubbie is, it is a Wednesday night children’s ministry for 3 and 4 year olds. I tried to get Kate totally prepared and excited. Truthfully, she could not have cared less. Kate is a free spirit and totally flies by the seat of her pants. Totally opposite from Carter. I’ll give you an example of Kate. Remember the movie A Christmas Story with the Red Rider bb gun? Well, Kate is the little brother in that movie, the one who eats his mash potatoes while pretending to be a pig. That’s our Katie!

We got to church last night and it was total chaos. I finally got Carter where he needed to be and Kate and I were off to Cubbies! Cubbies class started off good for Kate. She sat at the table and colored her picture like she was suppose to, but when she finished 2 minutes later she was ready to play. Did I mention that I am one of the three teachers in Cubbies? Yep, I am! So, I told Kate she had to stay at the table until game time. She ignored me, but she did listen to Ms. Kellie and sat back down for about 5 seconds.

I began to get really aggravated with Kate because she would not get with the program, but what I was not taking into consideration was her age and personality. Kate will not turn 3 for another month and I really need to cut her some slack.

It was game time and into the gym we went. The game leaders ask who knew how to play duck, duck, goose. Kate threw her little hand up in the air and screamed “I do, I do”. I could have cried right then and there. My baby girl was growing up. Anyway, let the games begin. The first kid got up and started around the circle duck, duck, duck, etc. First round, no goose for Kate, second round, no goose for Kate, after round six still no goose for Kate. Now I’m ticked and holding back a hissy fit. I sat there and watched my baby girl sit on pins and needles waiting to be picked. I did not know whether to cry or go grab the little girl that had already been goose 3 times by the pig tail and drag her over to Kate.

All I can say is the Good Lord put one hand on my heart and the other over my mouth reminded me where I was and Kate finally got picked. She ran and laughed when she finally got her turn, but then she was done and walked away from the other kids.
Duck, duck, goose was no longer good enough for Kate, she was ready for a solid game of “Hide and Go Seek”!
I guess she will not be scared for life after all!

No comments: