Monday, August 25, 2008

Jail House Rock

My daughter is one of a kind, a true challenge. When it comes to Kate, nothing is easy. Just leaving the house every morning is a debate. Kate keeps us on our toes and we love her for it. This morning was no exception.

Carter got up around 6:45am and he was in a good mood as usual. He ate breakfast, brushed his teeth and got dressed without any drama. Now, I also woke Kate up at 6:45am (at least I tried). After four verses of “Rise and Shine” and “This Little Light of Mine” Kate sat up in the bed thirty five minutes later. (We have to leave home by 7:30am to be on time.) So anyway, Kate sat on the bed whining. Her hair was all over her head, her pajamas were half way off and all she could say was “I don’t want to take baby to school”! I picked her up, carried her to the bathroom and sat her on the toilet. Round 1 goes to me.

As she sat on the toilet whining about not wanting to pee, I brushed her teeth and cleaned her face. As she sat on the toilet proclaiming that she was NOT going to put her clothes on, I picked her up from the toilet and carried her to her room. I put her clothes on while she had her arms crossed in protest. Finally, Kate was ready to go too. Round 2 goes to me.

I made the normal morning announcement “everyone under 4 feet tall line up at the door, the morning train is leaving”. Suddenly, from across the kitchen I heard a little voice whine “I don’t want on the twain!” So, I sent Carter to the garage and I picked Kate up and carried her to the car. In case you have not figured this out, Kate’s feet have not touched the floor since she opened her eyes. I got Kate buckled in and again she protests “I don’t want in my car seat!” All Carter could do is look over at her and shake his head. Round 3 goes to me.

The ride to school did not improve Kate’s attitude. After we took Carter to school, I had some errands to run and she still was not satisfied. When we went to Kroger, she wanted to go to Wal-Mart first. When we finally went to Wal-Mart she wanted to go to the mall instead. She sat in the back of the car and grumbled about everything we did this morning. Round 4 still goes to me.

In the end, I must confess Kate did have the last word (in a big way). We were on the way to pick Carter up at school when Kate tells me that she does not want to be in the car with me anymore. I ask her where she would rather be and her answer was simple “jail!” Needless to say…Round 5 goes to Kate.

No comments: