Monday, July 28, 2008

Who Says You Can’t Go Home Again

We’re baaack! Our family getaway is over and I can’t say I am sad about it. I know that sounds bad, but you’ll understand why by the end of this story.

We left Thursday morning about 6:30am even though the condo was only 3 hours away. Mark’s theory is no matter where you are going, it’s always better to get an early start. I tend to view things a little different than he does when it comes to getting up early. We had a good time and everyone got along great (even Cater and Kate) until Saturday. That is when it all fell apart.

We woke up Saturday morning to the sound of rain on the patio. It was the kind of rain that makes you want to sleep all day, but not MY kids. The weather made it hard to do anything but shop, which just so happens to be my favorite sport. By the end of the day the kids were crying, Mark and I were arguing and we were all ready to go home!

Did I mention that our condo was on the top of a mountain? Yep! Way up high! Saturday night before we started up the mountain, Mark said we had a quarter of a tank of gas and that should be plenty until we start home in the morning. Sunday morning came and we could not get the car packed fast enough. We started down the mountain and the fun began. We had begun our decent when Mark took note that the gas hand had moved considerably. I told him it was because we were going downhill and it would adjust. He rolled his eyes at me. It was MY car we were driving and I do know a few things about my own gas gauge.

The further down the mountain we got the paler Mark’s face got. I told him not to panic and then I said the famous six words, “the gas light isn’t even on”. At the very moment the bell dinged and on came the gas light. I could not help but laugh. So then, Mark gets mad at me. Why? I do not know. I told him that I’m not the one who decided not to get gas until we left. His response was simple “because it’s your car”. Whatever!

Halfway down the road, he turned off the air conditioner in the car (trying to save gas, no doubt). So down came the windows and out came my giggles. I could not help it and I was out of control. When I finally caught my breath, Mark had picked up speed and was now going about 45 mph through the Smokey Mountain National Forest. I know that does not seem very fast, but remember we’re talking about a mountain. As if the situation wasn’t funny enough, the following conversation came pouring out of the backseat. Kate “Brrrooother, what’s haaappening?” Carter “Daaaddddy neeeeds toooo saaave gaaas!” All of this and their hair blowing in the wind and their eyes watering! It was too much, so the giggles started again!

We finally made it to the bottom of the mountain and to the first gas station we could find. Mark looked over at me and said “I am glad you find this so funny”. I simply said “Yes, and I am sorry you were the only one not laughing”!

It’s good to be home.

No comments: