Thursday, July 17, 2008

Accept No Substitute

Yesterday, I laid down the law. I decided that Kate was drinking too much juice and I cut her off. I started giving her water in her sippy cup. Keep in mind that Kate is a HEAVY drinker. She even takes her cup to bed with her.

Kate’s drink of choice even over juice is none other than Diet Coke. (She is her mother’s daughter.) I have never just given her a Diet Coke and said here ya’ go, but she has sampled mine on numerous occasions. From the day of her first sip she was hooked. You can not leave one sitting around because if she finds it, it will be gone. If she sees them in the pantry she will beg for one. Therefore, I have to hide them.

Now back to yesterday. She was OK at first, but as the day went on she began to get whiny. I was beginning to get a little whiny myself. You see, I felt bad for cutting her off so I too stuck to only water. Typically that is not a problem, I drink water all the time except first thing in the morning. Diet Coke is my coffee! Around 3:00pm I was desperate for caffeine, but I could not let Kate know I was falling off the wagon .

While Kate was busy playing, I tip toed into the pantry and got my can of “mojo” and took it into the laundry room. Our laundry room is on the other side of the house and I had a load of laundry on the spin cycle. There was no way she would hear the can open. I popped the top and began to pour when suddenly I heard the pitter patter of little feet coming through the kitchen. Busted! I quickly hid the can and turned the light off. Kate said “ Can I have some Diet Coke?” Forgive me Lord for lying, but I said “Kate, mommy does not have any Diet Coke.” She looked at me rather sadly, lowered her head and walked away.

Yes, I feel horrible and yes I drank the Diet Coke!

No comments: