Sunday, July 20, 2008

It Is All In The Follow Through

This weekend has been exhausting. I don’t know what has made it different from any other weekend, but it’s been crazy. Carter and Kate have had Mark and I so nuts, we could have thread a sewing machine with it running. I think my parents being on vacation might have something to do with it.

Typically we all go on vacation together, but my niece was playing in the Fast Pitch Softball World Series in Florida this past week and my parents went to see her play. Her team won 2nd place, yeah! My parents (a.k.a. my neighbors) got back into town this morning, thank GOD!
Carter has been especially rowdy since they have been gone. He is quite the Nana’s boy. So, we got home from church and my mom met us as soon as we arrived. Carter immediately wanted to go to her house. He has a bad habit of trying to keep Nana all to himself and away from Kate.
My mom and dad went back home to unpack and they told Carter that he could come over and help them take care of the pool when Kate took her nap. Kate is a little too “creative” to be helping with such a chore. Well, needless to say, Carter went nuts! He wanted to go right then and he would do any means necessary to get his way.

This is where my bad parenting comes into play. He starts to through a little fit and goes into his room and slams the door. Yes, my five year old slammed the door! Being the stern mother that I am, I told him that he could not go to Nana’s because of his little fit. Well, that’s when the crying started. The big huge crocodile tears started to fall and I could not contain myself. So then I go into my “if your good from now on I’ll let you go” mode.

Yes, it’s true. I am really thinking that I can not get him over there fast enough because he is driving me crazy! After several more moments of bad behavior and idol threats by me, Kate went to sleep and I sent Carter next door as fast I could get him there.

My mother (and the Supper Nanny) has always said that discipline is all in the follow through. I am sure they are right, but for now my house is quiet and that only happens once in a blue moon, so I think I will take a nap.

No comments: