Monday, September 8, 2008

R.S.V.Peeved (Thoughts on Southern Etiquette)

The term R.S.V.P. comes from the French expression “répondez, s'il vous plaît“, meaning, “please respond”. Southern translation, call me and let me know if you are coming or not! Now that we have that covered, I have only one question. Why don’t people do it? I am not saying that I have not ever forgotten to respond, but I do 98% of the time.

This leads me to my first question. Why? Why do people not R.S.V.P.? I have given this a little bit of thought and I have come up with a theory. People “assume”. People just think that you know whether they are going to come to the event. You know I am right. How many times have you done the same thing? Let’s say for example, your best friend sends you an invitation to her husband’s 40th birthday party. Should you “assume” that she knows you will be there? NO! Would you anyway? YES!

So what does this mean? Well, if you do not respond to your best friend’s invitation, she might call you to see if you are coming. What if she were not your best friend? She might think you are not coming because you do not like her, you have something better to do or she may think you did not get the invitation and that opens up a whole other assortment of problems.

This can also cause awkward social situations. What if I am at the mall and I run into someone that did not show up to a party I had a few days before? What am I suppose to say? I know what I would really want to say. “So, where were you Saturday night?” “Did you have something better to do”? What if the situation were reversed? What would you say? “Sorry I could not make it to the party, I had myself admitted to Westcott (if you’re not from around here, it’s the local looney bin) a few days before the invitation came and I just got out yesterday.”

At first glance, the dilemma of the R.S.V.P. seems simple, just do it. However, if you happen to forget, remember always be prepared to grovel or have a good excuse tucked away somewhere safe. You NEVER know when you will need one.

This message is dedicated to the refrigerator full of hotdogs and unopened dip from Kate’s birthday party this weekend.

1 comment:

KeKe said...

Okay, so I guess I didn't officially RSVP. Does I'm sorry work or do you just take into account that it is KeKe & that explain my short comings? =)
Life is Good! Carter is once again KeKe's girl! yeah!!
Try regrets only, sometimes that works. Would it make you feel better if I volunteer to come eat all the leftovers? LOL