Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas Vacation w/o Cousin Eddie

We are well into Christmas vacation and everyone is still alive. As a matter of fact it is day 7 and I still have all my hair, nails, and nerves, but barely. So far there have been multiple fights, a lot of pouting, and an extraordinary amount of tattling, a knot on the head, a busted lip, a jammed thumb and a black eye. I know all that sounds bad, but actually, for our house, it has been a tranquil holiday.

Our festivities began on Christmas Eve when we made the annual pilgrimage to my sister-in-law’s house (Mark’s sister). We had a good meal and even better conversation (only because no one resorted to name calling or hair pulling). Let’s just say that the “conversations” that Mark and his brother-in-law have are legendary, but this year, everyone was on there best behavior. Too bad, I was looking for a little excitement.

In my head I had planned out the perfect Christmas Eve. We would leave our family outing and go straight home. After a little regrouping we would go to candle light service at church. After the service, we would come home and open one gift each, which was matching Christmas pajamas for one and all (you can imagine Mark’s excitement about that one). When the gift opening was complete we would gather around the fireplace and read the story of Jesus’ birth. Finally, we would all get tucked into bed and await Santa’s arrival.

In the real world, our Christmas Eve went a little something like this. We left the nut house...I mean family outing and came straight home. Kate went to sleep in the car and Carter was barely hanging onto consciousness. We got home and before 15 minutes went by Carter had passed out and it was only 7:00pm. I tried for 45 minutes to get him awake for candle light service, but no response, at least nothing more than a grunt. Kate decided to wake up at 8:45pm (bad thing). We put Carter to bed for the night. Kate and I opened our pj’s by ourselves. It took me until 10:00pm to get Kate back to bed. Where was Mark during all of this commotion? He was in the garage putting together Kate’s kitchen. (Took him 5 hours by the way.) Carter did not get his pj’s until Christmas morning and to this day I’ve never seen Mark even wear his. Oh well, some things just were not meant to be.

Christmas morning was a blast! The kids were so happy. Carter strummed his new guitar while Kate cooked them breakfast in her new kitchen. We had wrapping paper, broken bows, tape, and that awful plastic toy packaging everywhere! By the way, since when is it a good thing to make toy packaging child proof? Mark and I both almost lost a finger trying to open some of those toys!

Christmas afternoon was enjoyable. We went to my mom’s house for my family Christmas. The kids partied hard and entertained one and all. At the end of the day, we had a wonderful Christmas and we are so very thankful for all God has blessed us with.

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and will have a very blessed New Year!

No comments: