Monday, December 15, 2008

Singin' For My Supper

In my own humble opinion, I can be quite entertaining when I put forth a little effort. Whenever I read a book to the kids or sing a song I try to spice it up a little bit and just add a little FLARE. This morning I had to add some FLARE that I had not anticipated.

As usual I went to wake Kate up this morning with dread in my heart. I know that I have mentioned before that Kate is NOT a morning person. I went into the bedroom flipped the light on and began my rendition of “Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory children of the Lord”. There was no movement. Next I tried a spicy version of “Feliz Navidad” Again, not a creature was stirring, not even Kate!

Alas, I knew that I was going to have to pull out the big guns or we were going to be late. So with my flannel pajamas still on and my hair still in full curling iron curls I came up with my best song yet. It went a little something like this:

Katie bell, Katie bell, Katie bell rock
Katie bells swing and Katie bells ring
Snowing and blowing up bushels of fun
Now the Katie hop has begun.


Suddenly, I saw a ripple under the blanket….

Katie bell, Katie bell, Katie bell rock
Katie bells chime in Katie bell time
Dancing and prancing in Katie bell square
In the frosty air


Kate’s fuzzy blonde head popped out from under the cover and she peered at me with only one eye open….

Katie bell time is a swell time
To go riding in a one-horse sleigh
Giddy-up Katie horse, pick up your feet
Katie around the clock
Mix and a-mingle in the jingling beat
That’s the Katie bell,
That’s the Katie bell,
That’s the Katie bell rock!


Suddenly, she began to clap for me and she actually smiled. Yes, it was only 7:15 in the morning and Kate smiled! I had begun to think highly of my ability to entertain while serving a purpose when I heard Kate say “Mummy you sooo funny!” I graciously thanked her and began to get her out of bed. She stopped me abruptly and said “Wait, wait you sing it again mummy, but wait, wait you need to sing it and shake you booty too mummy!”

All in a days work my dear readers, all in a days work!

No comments: