Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It's A Southern Thing

I was driving Carter to school this morning and we were listening to the radio when the D.J. came on the air with the “question of the day”. Today’s question was “What is your biggest pet peeve?” Immediately I thought of five, but what really got me was the first lady that called in with her peeve. She said that see was born and raised in the south, but she could not stand it when a stranger or even an acquaintance called her “honey” or “sweetheart”.

Seriously? I couldn’t believe it. The D.J. asked her again if she was sure she was from the south and the caller said yes, but she thought those “terms of endearment” were demeaning. Seriously? Not calling someone “honey” or “sweetheart” in the south is like not saying “bless her heart” before you start to say something not so nice about someone.

I am very well aware that I use too many “southern” expressions and I am really trying to cut back for the sake of my children’s future education…I’ll explain. A few weeks ago I had a conversation with Carter’s teacher and she began to tell me about Carter’s last trip to the library. Carter had picked out a book that did not have a bar code on it. He took the book over to the librarian and said “Excuse me ma’am, I really want to check this book out, but it does not have a "thingy ma jigger" on it.” Apparently, Carter’s choice of descriptive terms caused the librarian to almost shoot coffee out her nose.

Honey I have got to cut back!

No comments: