Thursday, October 16, 2008

Beauty Sleep?

I am nursing a major pain in the neck today and I am not even referring to my children, at least not directly. I have no one else to blame, but myself. I broke one of the major rules of Casa de Crazy. I broke the rule that says you must guard your sleeping territory at all costs. I know that sounds strange, but let me explain.
When bedtime comes, we adhere to the “all for one, one for all” motto. Yes, we ALL sleep in the same bed! I know what some of you may be thinking, but desperate times call for desperate measures. When both Carter and Kate were babies, the ONLY way Mark and I could get any sleep was to let them sleep in the bed with us. Yes, that was over five years ago, but “old habits die hard”.
Over the years our sleeping “rules” have evolved so that everyone can get good nights sleep, except for maybe Mark.

Rule #1 When you get in the bed, stay in your spot (Do not ask to trade places)
Rule #2 Guard your territory at all costs (Go to the bathroom at your own risk)
Rule #3 Always keep your guard up (Literally, elbows can hit you in the face at any time)
Rule #4 Keep up with your blanket (If it makes it to the bottom of the bed, sorry)
Rule #5 The oldest person in the bed gets the least amount of assigned space (Sorry Mark)

I know that it is probably time to ship the kids off into there own bed, but somehow I don’t think that is going to be as easy as it sounds. I wouldn’t know what to do if I did not wake up in the middle of the night without Kate rubbing my ear lobes or Carter digging his toes into my back.

The time is going to come when Carter and Kate are both going to want to sleep in their own beds, but until then I think I’ll just stick to the rules and snuggle with my babies a little longer.

No comments: