Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Doctor Is In

When I went to bed Tuesday night I had the rest of my week all laid out. Little did I know that Wednesday morning would bring total chaos to my perfectly planned week? I woke up Wednesday morning to the sound of Carter crying and saying his throat hurt. My world was officially being “rocked” because Carter NEVER gets sick.

Carter has Mark’s genes in the “getting sick” category and the only thing Carter “catches” is a runny nose on occasion. His good genes are both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because he is rarely sick and a curse because when he is sick he thinks his world is coming to an end.

I called the doctors office first thing and was able to get an early appointment. Now I will be honest, I HATE taking my kids to the doctor. It’s not about the doctor as much as it is the germs! I do not consider myself a “germaphobe”, but I do like me some hand sanitizer and Clorox Wipes. I know this will sound bad, but when I walk in the door of the pediatricians’ office my suppressed obsessive compulsive disorder kicks in HIGH gear.

After an hour and a half of “don’t touch that Kate” and “that’s nasty Kate”, we left with a diagnosis of strep throat, a 3 day “leave” from school and an empty bottle of Purell.
Did I mention the 3 days at home? Technically, it is 5 days because of the weekend. Did I also mention how much Carter LOVES school and does not like to miss it? Praise God that Carter started feeling better on Thursday afternoon, but by Friday I was about to pull my hair out. The term “cabin fever” doesn’t even come close to an accurate description.

Luckily, tomorrow is Monday and Carter can return to his “happy place” also known as school and I can return to my “happy place” also known as Wal-Mart.

No comments: