Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Put Me In Coach...

Do you smell something? It’s the smell of the fresh cut grass in the outfield. Do you see that? It is the sun beating down on the deep Georgia red clay in the infield. That’s right people it’s little league baseball season in the south! As for you critics, I realize it is baseball season throughout the country, but I am from the south and let’s face it…it’s all about me. I am pumped about this season. Gone are the days of no umpires, no score keeping (at least not officially), no outs, and hitting off the infamous “T”. This is REAL live baseball baby! I am so excited (more than Carter), but that’s ok…he’ll adapt!


Most of my life has been spent on a ball field and in my 36 years I have observed two types of parents. First, you have the “Bleacher Creatures”. They are usually found sitting on the bleachers in a crowd of people. They have never really played sports themselves and know just enough about the game to be dangerous. Bleacher Creatures sit in the stands and criticize the coach, but only loud enough for their “peeps” to hear. When they are not being “creatures” they can be found hanging out at the concession stand having a sampler platter.

Next there are the “Parent Coaches”. I qualify as an expert on these because I have a set! In case it was not obvious, these are the parents that choose to coach their children. They spend countless hours on the practice field not only with the team, but with their kids individually. They dream of their kid being the homerun hitter and the perfect defensive player. They dream of the “perfect” batting order and spend a small fortune on practice gear. These types “coach” their kids from sun up to sun down and sometimes even when they are sleeping. The funny thing is, no matter how much time passes or how old they get…they never quit coaching. It’s in their blood and gives them such a rush!

Last but not least there are “Monster Moms”. These are the type A personality daughters of the above mentioned “Parent Coaches”. I can speak at length on this subject because I am one. Yes, I am a “Monster Mom” and proud of it. I am SUPER competitive. Second place is just another name for 1st loser. Little league, big league, or somewhere in between it does not matter because you are out there to play ball, not have fun! Carter came to me a few days before his first ballgame this year and said “mom, I can’t wait until my first REAL baseball game. I will do my very best, but I know that our team cannot always win. Everybody has to lose some time.” Hugh? Seriously? Yep, my kid said that. I bit the preverbal tongue and mumbled “if you say so”. These kinds of words send chills up a monster mom’s spine. We will spend many hours and many dollars on the “perfect” bat to ensure the “proper hitting” or the “perfect” glove to ensure the “proper play”. We also know the importance of “looking like a ball player”. My motto has always been, you might not know what you are doing, but by George you need to look good doing it! We MM’s take this stuff seriously. We are in it to win it. After all, we have to make our “parent coaches”proud!

Batter up!

- I dedicate this post to my Mom and Pop. Keep on coaching! Love you!

No comments: