Thursday, April 8, 2010

Feeding Time at the Zoo

Don’t pay the ransom, I have escaped! Yes, I am slowly emerging from nine months of barfing, swelling and drastic mood swings. Addison Taylor Reynolds was born February 8, 2010 at 8lbs. 10oz. and 20 ½ inches long. I apologize for not blogging during the pregnancy. Frankly, I did not write because the mood I was in, who knows what I might have said or who I might have offended along the way. It was best that I just kept quiet.

I tried to be proactive and prepare Carter & Kate for a new baby. We talked about how much babies sleep and how we NEVER wake a sleeping baby. I explained that babies do not “play” with toys or eat Goldfish crackers. I was feeling pretty confident with myself until about an hour after Addy was born. I was lying in my hospital bed feeling euphoric over the power I had being able to control my morphine drip when reality stood up and smacked me in the face. The nurse walked in the room with the baby and said “feeding time”. OH SNAP! I didn’t explain breastfeeding. Kate would not have a clue and Carter was too young to remember me nursing Kate. I had to formulate a plan and quick.

I decided to play it cool and let them ask the questions. It went over without a hitch; at least I thought it did. A few days later, after we were home from the hospital, the phone rang and Carter answered. He talked at length to the other person and it was obvious they were asking him about his plans for the day. What came next I could not have scripted myself. Carter said “As soon as my mom finishes milking the baby we are going to have lunch”. MILKING! Seriously? I already felt like Bessie the cow, but now Carter tells people I’m MILKING the baby! The sad thing is I have continuously corrected him and repeated FEEDING; I am FEEDING the baby, but for some reason milking stuck. I can only imagine what he tells the people at school! Oh well, out of the mouths of babes!

No comments: