Friday, June 12, 2009

Tales of a True Pioneer

Kate is the true pioneer of our family. She was our first and only child to have colic. She is the only one that gets car sick and the first one to break a bone. Let’s not forget about our trip to the ER two years ago after she swallowed a penny. I am proud to say that time has not taken away Kate’s pioneering spirit.

Last Tuesday night all was well at Casa de Crazy. Dinner was over, kitchen cleaned, and I had just settled into a little Facebook time when Kate wanders up. The conversation went a little like this:

Me: “Hey sweetie, how may I be of assistance?”
Kate: “Mummy, can you get the shoe out of my nose?”
Me: “Huh?”
Kate: “I need you to get the shoe out.”

At this point I am thinking that her imagination is getting the best of her, but I humor her and get a flashlight to investigate.

Me: “Katie, I don’t see a shoe.”
Kate: “Mummy! I have a shoe up my nose! Now, please…get-it-out!”

Trying hard not to laugh, I went to beg for Mark’s help. I use the term “beg” because when dealing with things such as noses, snot, and all other things that fall into the bodily fluid category, Mark typically runs the other way or simply cannot be found.

Me: “Mark, um…Can you come downstairs for a minute? I think I need your help.”

Mark comes downstairs and I tell him what has happened. After three verses of “Katie, why do you do these things”, we are able to locate the shoe. (Did I mention this “shoe” actually belonged on one of her Polly Pocket dolls?) To my surprise, Mark declares that he can get it out! Seriously? He goes and gets the tweezers and all I can say is “Mark, I really don’t think this is a good idea.” “I can do it”, he said. Not sure what happened to his irrational fear of snot, but ok.

In the mean time, Kate picks up on my hesitation real quick and starts chanting “no daddy, no daddy” and hiding her nose. This little episode went on for another 15 minutes and finally I declared it “ER time”. Adding to the drama, Carter starts to cry when Kate and I leave. Obviously, he thinks that Kate is about to have some major procedure done. He is holding onto Kate and Kate is holding on to him and they are both hysterical.

After an hour and a half at the hospital, a good set of “alligator forceps”, a doctor who was totally amused and a bill that will be Lord knows how much, we returned home with a clean nose and a tiny pink Polly Pocket shoe covered in snot.

Another Kate classic and a typical day at the casa de crazy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very funny!