Thursday, May 7, 2009

Can I Get a Witness?

Until this morning there are very few times in my life that I can honestly say I have been humiliated or left speechless. I had just gotten home from the grocery store and while I was putting up the food I spilled water on my pants. So with my quick wit I decided to take my pants off and lay them over a chair to dry. I proceeded to the living room to make a quick phone call and Snickers started barking. I thought that was kind of strange because when I got home from the store he was sound asleep in his crate (he is not a morning dog). Kate came running from Snickers direction so I just assumed she had woke him up. My phone conversation continued and so did Snickers barking. In the midst of my conversation I reassured Snickers that I would be with him in just a minute, but he continued to protest. All of a sudden I look up and my front door is standing wide open (thanks to Kate) and there stands a lady from Jehovah’s Witness!

I froze! There I was sitting in the living room in my shirt and underwear! My friend on the phone just kept talking on and on and all I could do is just sit there looking at this woman, speechless. I hung up the phone, grabbed an afghan from the chair, wrapped it around me and headed to the door, I could feel my face getting hotter and hotter. The lady smiled at me and the conversation went a little something like this…

Me: “Hi, I’m sorry, my daughter has a BAD habit of opening the door when she is NOT suppose to…….I spilled water on my pants.”

JW: “That’s OK. You have a beautiful view from your home. (Yeah! You got a view alright!) I am here on a mission from my church and I wanted to talk to you about having Faith during hard times.”

Me: “Oh, well I understand completely about Faith and I believe you should have Faith all the time, not just in hard times. (Now, this is the point where I should have just shut up, but NOOOO not me!) My family and I are very active in church and I am a Sunday school teacher. This is very hard to look you in the eye and say since I do not have any pants on.” (Duh!)
(What can I say I was desperate and without my pants!)

The lady thanked me for my time and left.

Leave it to me to find such a creative way to get the JW’s to leave in a hurry. My guess is they may scratch my address off their list permanently!

A note to my fellow church members…Please note that I did not tell the JW were I went to church. I wanted to protect the identity of the innocent!

1 comment:

Pastor Joel said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

When snickers barks....someone is at the door....and it is usually a good idea to have pants on!!!