Thursday, November 20, 2008

Scientific Method?

Do you remember having a science fair at school? You had to come up with a question, research it, form a hypothesis, test it, look at the results, and draw a conclusion. Oh, those were the days and it seems like so long ago, but wait, it was just this morning for Mark.

This morning, Mark finally completed a science project that he has been working for at least as long as we have been married (7 years, 11 months, and 2 weeks to be exact). I like to call Mark’s little experiment “No excuses for oversleeping”. For as long as we have been married, Mark has NEVER overslept. I am not exaggerating when I use the word NEVER.

I on the other hand am not so “perfect”. I do not subscribe to the modern day alarm system. I was one of those people who use to live 3 minutes from the office, but I was always 30 minutes late. Why? I over slept. This phenomenon is something that Mark just doesn’t understand. No wonder he does not understand, he gets up at 4:00am. I am more along the lines of a 7:30am gal (this was of course BEFORE I had children). Needless to say “oversleeping” is the topic that remains a thorn in our side, at least until today.

I was dreaming about the stress of cooking a turkey when I heard Mark’s voice, “6:30”, “no”, “is it?”, “Stef, is it 6:30?” (How should I know? I don’t even have a clock on my side of the bed. I work on God’s time…I let the sunrise wake me up.) Mark carried his search for the “real” time into the kitchen to check the clock there. Then I here, “NOOOO! It IS 6:30!” Then I heard the words I have waited to hear for years…wait for it… “I’ve OVERSLEPT!”

You are probably wondering what the big deal was, right? After all it was only 6:30am and he had plenty of time to get to work. Well, not exactly. Mark had a prayer breakfast to attend this morning at 6:45am with our Pastor and several other businessmen from church. As you probably figured out by now, Mark missed his prayer breakfast and his morning coffee.

All of this reminds me of the saying “don‘t throw stones if you live in a glass house.”

Mark, welcome to the glass house.

No comments: