Friday, November 14, 2008

Tis The Season

Tis the season to be jolly, fa la la la la la la la la. Yippee! I walked into Wal-Mart a few days ago and behold it has begun. The sound of dogs barking “Jingle Bells” was blasting through the store speakers, a giant tree stood front and center at the store entrance and the smell of cinnamon filled the air. I looked to my left and there were toys lining the wall. I looked to my right and there were bows, bags, and balls, oh my! It’s Christmas time again!

In case I have not made myself clear, I LOVE CHRISTMAS! I always have and always will. I believe that the Christmas spirit is contagious. You can just feel it in the air. Usually, I start making my Christmas list in September all in anticipation of the season. Not a list of what I want, but a list of gifts and things I can do for others. I love the challenge of trying to find just the right gift for someone. I think people know when you have put thought into a gift for them. A lot of people complain that retailers start the holiday too soon. NO WAY! The longer we can celebrate the better!

Speaking of shopping, I even love the mobs of people everywhere. Personally, that’s were I get my “fix”. LOL! It is a family “tradition” of sorts to go shopping on Christmas Eve, whether we have anything to buy or not. Every year my mom and I head out on Christmas Eve, just to get “in the mess”. Yes it is a mad house, yes people are rude and pushy, but I just smile at them and say “Merry Christmas to ya!”.

Bottom line is this; Christmas is not about presents, bows and angry shoppers. Christmas is about celebrating the gift of Christ’s birth. When you are out shopping or at your family dinners, ask yourself “what would Jesus want me to do and say”. I try to remember he wants me to be loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, and gentle and have some self-control. Please remember to smile a little more, help those in need, pray for one another and truly celebrate the greatest gift we have EVER been given.

Yes, I have started my shopping and yes, I am thinking about putting out my decorations two weeks before Thanksgiving. All because I believe that the “Christmas Spirit” that fills the air is placed there by God for all of us to catch.

Try to enjoy the madness, and remember why you are celebrating.

Maybe I’ll see you at the mall on Christmas Eve!

No comments: