Friday, April 17, 2009

Bust A Move

Two weeks ago marked the second parent observation day at Kate's dance studio. We had dance first and during the warm up the teacher asked the girls to do their "butterflies". As they are "butterflying" she asked each little girl where they would go on their flying trip. The answers ranged from Disney World to grandma's house, except Kate. When asked where she would like to go on her trip Kate proudly answered "the shoe store"! That's my girl!

After dance we had gymnastics and it got a little more interesting. As I am sitting and doing my "observing", I noticed one of the other little girls bothering Kate. (In order to protect the not so innocent, we will call this little troublemaker "Lucy".) "Lucy" would get right in Kate's face and stick her tongue out at Kate and try to push her. Now, "Lucy's" mom was sitting right there in the room and did not say a word! By then, I'm praying "Lord, please give me the restraint I need to not grab this kid by the ponytail and drag her off that mat".

The good Lord anwered my prayer because Kate moved away from "Lucifer" I mean "Lucy". Next thing you know that kid followed Kate to the other side of the room and here we go again! Finally, my mother, who by the way, was there too said, "Stef, if you don't get that kid off of Kate, I'm going too". Again, I look over at "Lucy's" mom and I get NOTHING! No "Lucy" stop, no "Lucy" don't, NOTHING! Finally, I made eye contact with Kate and I gave her that look that only a mother can give a daughter, the look that says "take her out!". Kate stood up and pushed "Lucy" away and said STOP!

Problem solved, without having to make "Lucy" and her mom an "offer they couldn't refuse"